baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 19:17:21 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> OK, BasicLinux 3.00 is now available:

> http://www.volny.cz/basiclinux/bl3-00.zip
>
> There is a small swap file in the zip to augment the memory
> on low RAM systems. If you have 4mb RAM, you *must* activate
> the swap file. It is also a good idea for 8mb RAM (with more
> RAM than that, forget about the swap file). You activate the
> swap file by unzipping it (in C:\baslin).

Great news, Steven. Can't wait to try it. One question: can it use a
swap partition if one exists, rather than the swap file?

> See /etc/rc. BTW, any configuration changes you make to BL3 will
> *not* disappear when you reboot. They will still be there next
> time you boot. So, if you edit /etc/rc or /etc/profile, your
> changes will come into effect the next time you boot.

Is this change made using the cat /dev/ram0 > ramdisk routine suggested by
Ian? If so, I guess you made this into a script that runs on reboot or
something? Nice approach . . .

Hope to try this soon and report back.

Thanks, James