baslinux - Re: [BL] plip problems

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] plip problems
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 22:51:19 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> > Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > > Does ping work?
> > Yes, in both directions:
>
> Then PLIP is working fine.
>
> > nc : connect : Connection refused.
>
> Then the problem is with netcat/send/receive.
> "Connection refused" sounds like receive is not running
> when you execute send.

First I type all the insmods and echos and ifconfigs on both computers.
Then I type receive on the receiving computer, and then send on the
sending computer. Should I be typing everything including receive on the
receiving computer, and then everything on the sending computer? I
figured the order did not matter until I actually did 'receive' and
'send'. Do you want to tell me EXACTLY what you do in what order and I
will try to duplicate that?

> > I have now had plip working between several pairs of computers
> > and it has stopped working between at least 2 pairs of them.
>
> If they ping, then PLIP is OK.
>
> > I type all the lines to insmod and echo 7, and the ifconfig
> > line, directly from my notes, the same way each time, I think.
> > pointopoint with only 2 t's.
>
> At that point, I always execute ping to confirm that PLIP is
> working.
>
> > I get to the point where it asks for host name, and I try
> > to send,
>
> First you must execute receive on the destination system.
> This is done *after* the network (PLIP) is up.

I do this first. Receive (hit ^c^c to cancel) and then send (hit ^c to
cancel). I give it the host name of the other (receiving) computer when
asked (the one that works with ping), and the file name, and it tells me
Connection refused and it also tells me the file has been sent (it has not
been sent).

> > What are plip.h and module.h, both of which refer to configuration?
> > module.h is in /plip. They have one line each starting with #.
>
> Where did you find those? They look like header files (for compiling).

They are on this computer, /usr/src/linux_2.2.16/include/config/plip.h
module.h is in /plip (I think also in /config). I may have installed them
with some package.

> > What other file transfer method could I try via parallel cable,
>
> Just about anything: FTP, HTTP, NFS, etc. The fact that you can
> ping over the parallel cable means it has a functioning TCP/IP
> network. Just run an appropriate server on one end and it will
> serve a client on the other end. The only problem is that the
> foundation BL2 has no servers. You will need to install one from
> Slackware 7.1.

What is the name of the package containing an ftp server?
I might just wait and try BL3 for file transfer.