baslinux - Re: [BL] miniX

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] miniX
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 17:33:32 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> But I am trying to get BL2 (hard drive installation) to
> work with Opera and minimal files and Xvesa. Do I just
> see what you included for BL3 and install the equivalents
> for BL2?

Opera is not a minimal binary. It requires lots of additional
bits & pieces. Libraries for starters, and it probably needs
a complete set of fonts. It may also be using some of the files
in /var/X11R6/lib. None of those things are in BL3.

I don't understand why you are bothering to minimize X to run
Opera. Just install the required X packages and be done with
it. The size difference will only be a few megabytes.

> > When the BL3 foundation is finished, I will be working
> > on add-ons for BL3.
>
> What sorts of add-ons?

I'll probably be doing the following:
(1) customized kernel optimized for 486dx
(2) customized kernel optimized for low-end Pentium
(3) pre-configured browser/mailer (Netscape 3.04 ?)
(4) pre-configured wordprocessor (abiword? flwriter?)
(5) additional libraries

Plus the various static binaries that (hopefully) will
work with BL3: ssh, links-ssl, xfreecell, etc.