baslinux - Re: +[SurvPC] Re: [BL] Communications program

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: +[SurvPC] Re: [BL] Communications program
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 21:18:30 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> > Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > How do I figure out what it expands to?
>
> Execute top. It will show you the RSS (real storage size) for
> all your running processes. The RSS for links-ssl is nearly
> 1.2mb. The RSS for the links in BL3 is 500kb.

For the links in BL2 it is about 800K. I presume links in BL3 is smaller
because of the different library. Ssl sure makes things bigger.

> This is not an issue for people with more than 8mb RAM, but it
> could be a show-stopper for people with 4mb RAM.
>
> > The uncompressed links 0.93 is 488K and the compressed links-ssl
> > is about 400K.
>
> The links in BL3 is 429kb.
>
> > We tested it at three secure sites already - one bbs and two
> > webmail sites.
>
> I'm glad it is working OK. Should be a pretty good add-on for
> BL1, BL2 or BL3. I believe the ssh at basiclinux.com.ru also
> works on any version.

It worked (at least it loaded, I did not try it online) with BL1
on hard drive. Sometimes I get an odd little error message but it goes
ahead and works anyway.

> > Perhaps you can recompile it to leave out support for other
> > languages and character sets
>
> It was compiled in diet-libc (which I do not have) and them
> compressed with UPX (which I also do not have). Moreover,
> removing a few language files is not going to change the
> footprint very much. I've tried that in the past without
> gaining a significant reduction in size.

Would you need to find or compile UPX for diet-libc? I found the
executable for SW71 and used it on lynx.

> > I have copied eznet.conf and resolv.conf to the BL2 directory
> > on my hard drive and will copy them over manually back to the
> > RAMdisk every time unless you can tell me some way to have that
> > happen while booting.
>
> Why don't you edit baslinux.gz and customize it to do exactly
> what you want?
> (1) gunzip baslinux.gz
> (2) mount baslinux -- first you'll need to 'insmod loop'
> ' then mount -o loop baslinux /mnt
> (3) cd /mnt and change what you want
> (4) when you are done, umount /mnt and gzip baslinux

Okay, some time when I am feeling adventurous. But I don't plan to be
using the RAMdisk version for much longer since we will be putting
together a few DOS/linux computers next. I already have four DOS
partitions on this computer and don't want to bother adding another drive.

What is loop? Am I doing the above from a hard drive version of baslinux?
I have never heard of mounting a file.

Today, for the first time in a year, I was unable to dial with linux. I
finally figured out my phone was slightly off hook. Easy fix.