baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound in BL2

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound in BL2
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:47:10 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Ron Clarke wrote:

> Hi Sindi,
>
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:48:47 -0500 (EST)
> Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com> wrote:
>
> > The realplayer file is not a tar.gz but a bin and there is nothing in
> > mcmenu about .bin files.
>
> What on earth did you get hold of ?

A tiger by the tail?

> Go to http://forms.real.com/real/player/unix/unix.html fill in the form
> and click on the "download player", then also get the updated codecs for
> the same.

I think that is what I did to get the .bin file. I know I filled in a
form. There may have been a choice of .bin or .tar.gz and I assumed that
one was precompiled and the other was not and I am not good at compiling.
It came with instructions to chmod +x and run it, I think. I will look
again. I have not seen .bin files before. Should I be downloading a
.tar.gz?

What is a codec? Windows Realplayer seems to keep downloading
those when I try to play radio stations.

Maybe I got a .bin that needs a later library and kernel? Would that
cause a segmentation fault?

> > I think the Windows version played a lot of other formats too. I might
> > be
> > wrong.
>
> No, it doesn't.

Maybe it was RealOne then. I did not like their menu (cannot be accessed
without a mouse) so I downgraded back to Realplayer 8. At some point
Realplayer wanted me to let it play ALL audio formats in Windows. I also
downgraded from WMP 7.1 back to whatever came with Win98 to get rid of the
skins and visualizations, which Realplayer thankfully lets you set as
'none'. Is there a linux equivalent of WMP?