baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound in BL2

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound in BL2
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:15:57 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Ron Clarke wrote:

> Hi Sindi,
>
> > I tried installing realplayer 8, from X, and got 'segmentation fault' -
> > what next?
>
> I used MC in CLI mode to place all the bits where they should be, then
> edited the icewm menu to give the full path to the realplayer.
> It worked for me, I haven't had a segmentaton fault.

What does this mean? Is there some way to decompress a .bin file, for
instance with tar (treat it like a tar.gz)?

> There is a nice MP3 player called gqmpeg that you can find at:
I don't play MP3s except to test players so I don't have any handy.

> > I would need to make an mp3 to test with amp and that sounds like too
> > much
> > work right now and they are too large to download so I will look for
> > tiMIDIty online.
>
> You will find a link to timidity on the same site as above, but timidity
> will remain silent unless you also have the patches properly configured.

This looks like a GUI program since is it about 10M if I recall correctly.
(I have been taking notes on the back of envelopes and they get lost).
I ran across some other midi player but I think RP8 should also play midi
and cd files if I can get it to work. (Of course that is also gui, but I
only listen to online midi files).

> > Is there a linux cdplayer? I searched MANIFEST.gz for play and did not
> > find one. cdplayer cdplyr not found
>
> Look for workbone. :)

I will see what I can find on the SuSE 6 or Caldera 2.x or Redhat 7 CDs
that people keep giving us. And then try to figure out which version of
Debian would work. I think what I got must have been glibc5 as none of
the sound programs worked for me. I hope the Debian site works today.