baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound in BL2

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound in BL2
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:46:16 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Ron Clarke wrote:

> Hi Sindi,
>
> > > You will find a link to timidity on the same site as above, but
> > > timidity
> > > will remain silent unless you also have the patches properly configured.
> >

> > This looks like a GUI program since is it about 10M if I recall
> > correctly.
>
> No. Timidity is CLI. There are some graphic front-ends for Timidity in
> X, but you don't need those to play/hear MIDIs. But you will need the
> patches.

The one availabe for Debian was 10M.
What is a patch?

I downloaded a bunch of deb files and used mc-menu to conver tto tgz and
in thero to install. Only playmidi splay and bplay actually had install
scripts, so I untarred the others and am trying them out from a temporary
directory.

cdcd needs a bunch of libraries that I don't have
dcd does not, but it tells me unable to open /dev/cdrom.
I checked, I have it.
Same for workbone - no such device

I installed devs.tgz and it added /dev/sequencer needed by playmidi but
that still wants me to set playback device. I typed playmidi -f filename.
For -f you need sb patches.

What are patches and where do I get them?

splay - buffer size of file device is wrong
bplay - inappropriate ioctl for device
abcmidi - converts between abc and midi format - what is abc?

I played a cd by pushing the play button. The card sounds okay,
better than with cat.

Do I need to mount the cd-rom drive somehow for playmidi?
What is an ioctl?

There are doc files - might try reading those next.