baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound in BL2

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound in BL2
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:37:48 -0500 (EST)

> > I tried installing realplayer 8, from X, and got 'segmentation fault' -
> > what next?
>
> I used MC in CLI mode to place all the bits where they should be, then
> edited the icewm menu to give the full path to the realplayer.
> It worked for me, I haven't had a segmentaton fault.

I don't understand how to get the bits to where they go. Can I unpack
this .bin file like a tar.gz file somehow and decide to put the pieces in
different places? And put realplayer on the path?

What does segmentation fault mean?

> > I tried sox and got 'invalid audio buffer size' and I could not find
> > 'audio buffer' in the sox man page.
>
> I didn't bother trying sox directly.
>
> > So I have sound but nothing very useful yet. Are there other players on
> > the SW71 CD and if not, what might I get that is small to just test if
> > the
> > sound card is sounding bad just because of using cat?
>
> There is a nice MP3 player called gqmpeg that you can find at:

[web search?]

> > I would need to make an mp3 to test with amp and that sounds like too
> > much
> > work right now and they are too large to download so I will look for
> > tiMIDIty online.
>
> You will find a link to timidity on the same site as above, but timidity
> will remain silent unless you also have the patches properly configured.

Realplayer would probably play midi and CD files so I would like to focus
on that, plus maybe a CD player but we have drivers that let you play by
just pushing a button if you don't mind going straight through the CD.

> > Is there a linux cdplayer? I searched MANIFEST.gz for play and did not
> > find one. cdplayer cdplyr not found
>
> Look for workbone. :)

I will look.

> > What is a segmentation fault? I have all the required libraries for
> > Realplayer (I checked with ldd just now). Has any other BL2 user
> > installed Realplayer with BL2?
>
> Looks like it is just me.

Please explain the details ofhow you installed it. Real said to chmod+x
and run it as a binary file, I think.