baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound in BL2

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound in BL2
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:43:22 +0000

Hi Sindi,

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 22:52:16 -0500 (EST)
Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com> wrote:

> Many thanks for the warning. We have 4 SB16 cards of which one is a
> Vibra16 so I will avoid using that one. Do you know the difference
> between Vibra16 and Soundblaster other than that linux does not like
> Vibra16?

Not what I meant to say. That Vibra16 runs just fine under DOS, Win3.1
and
under Peanut Linux (a redhat distro). Peanut HAS the correct soundcard
drivers
and modules for it. I couldn't find the same for Slakware7.1 ....... YET !

> The SB cards are all PlugNPlay - would that be a problem with Linux?
> There may also be jumpers, and I can ask Windows about things like IRQ.

If you can get them to work in DOS, then use the same settings after the -
insmod sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1(0) etc, and you should have no problems.

> > AMP plays MP3s, not MIDIs. For MIDIs you need TIMIDITY and a good
> > set of MIDI patches properly installed.
>
> What is a MIDI patch?

A MIDI patch is a small soundfile that is used by Timidity (and others) as
if
it was a musical instrument. They come as a set, often with the extension
.pat ,
and with a configuration file to set each .pat file against a MIDI instrument
channnel.
You have, therefore, a PIANO.PAT, FLUTE.PAT, TROMBONE.PAT and so on.

Timidity also comes with a .cfg file that points to the MIDI config file.

Without MIDI patches, a MIDI player will be piping total silence to each
MIDI
channel ... and that is what you will hear: total silence.

There are, however, some MIDI players that have their patches inside the
player or driver(s) file(s). The Windows Media Player, for instance, or
Florian
Xaver's excellent CDP.EXE for DOS.

Regards,
Ron