baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound in BL2

  • From: User X <entropicdesires AT entropicdesires.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound in BL2
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 00:36:57 -0600

Ron Clarke wrote:
   I have got sound working on this machine, with an original SB16 soundcard and
real kick-ass ex-HiFi speakers. I now do MIDI, MOD and MP3s.

   The modules for sound have been set in a bash script (my first bash script)
for convenience.

#!/bin/bash
insmod soundcore
insmod soundlow
insmod sound
insmod v_midi
insmod uart401
insmod sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=0

    You may have to amend the last line to match your own setup.

I've been tinkering with my sound as well...  Everything seems to load fine, but when I try to play a .wav file, I get this error message:

sox: Invalid audio buffer size 0

Do I need to change the buffer size?  If so, where do I begin?
When I try playing an .mp3 file (using amp), I get this error message:

Playing: /hda1/windows/desktop/The Pixies - 03 - Isla De Incanta.mp3
Properties:        Stereo 22050Hz
Coding Method:     MPEG2.0 layer3
Bitrate:           64kbit/s
Unable to set required audio format
Broken Pipe

I've noticed since loading the sound modules, my microphone runs constantly, prohibiting me from closing the laptop's lid because of the feedback it causes.  When I tried playing a midi file with amp, I received the following message:

Playing: /hda1/windows/media/canyon.mid
Thank you for using amp!

But, there was no sound at all.

I don't know why I'm trying so hard to configure sound on a laptop with only a single little tinny speaker, but I will be grateful for any help.

Thanks.

\\ :o)