baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera 7 and glibc/cxx update work well

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera 7 and glibc/cxx update work well
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 18:54:24 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > I downloaded glibc-2.2.5 and cxxlibs-6.2 from Slackware 8.1
> > The first is 24M and took quite a while.
>
> Wrong file. It sounds like you got the complete glibc-2.2.5
> library (which is used for compiling). What you actually
> needed was: glibc-solibs-2.2.5-i386-2.tgz (1.3mb)
>

> > Do I need to uninstall the older two libraries if I want
> > to save space,
>
> You've already wasted a massive amount of space (probably
> over 100mb) by installing the full glibc-2.2.5 libs.

We have lots of space to waste. Jim tried to compile a small C++
program on this computer, with the updated glibc6, and it would not
compile. It compiled on the computer with the older glibc6. So I just
used the latest Opera to download what I hope are the other files from
SL81 needed for compiling:

binutils (2.4M)
gcc 1.7 and 1.9M - replaced egcs
gcc-g++
gdb - debugger -1.1M
make - instead of gmake - 303K

I could not find anything that looked like linuxinc which is a large file
containing include files. Are these included in one of the above?
If not, what else do I need to download and install to compile?

> > I presume I can now use any programs from Slackware 8.1
> > as wellas the ones from 7.1.
>
> Most will work, but some will need an additional library
> or two from Slack81.

They might also need the later kernel. I think SW81 is Kernel 2.4.