baslinux - Re: [BL] sound in BL2

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] sound in BL2
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 07:32:28 +0000

Hi Sindi,

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 10:37:31 -0500 (EST)
Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com> wrote:

> > I have got sound working on this machine, with an original SB16
> > soundcard and
> > real kick-ass ex-HiFi speakers. I now do MIDI, MOD and MP3s.
> >
> > The modules for sound have been set in a bash script (my first bash
> > script)
> > for convenience.
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
> > insmod soundcore
> > insmod soundlow
> > insmod sound
> > insmod v_midi
> > insmod uart401
> > insmod sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=0
> >
> > You may have to amend the last line to match your own setup.
>
> Do I need the line about midi if I just want to try playing realaudio, or
> the one with 401 in it (is this for using other devices plugged into the
> game port of the sound card?).

Yes you do, otherwise sb.o will complain.

> Someone just gave me two SB16 cards with
> power and with two original user manuals so I can set the jumpers on them.

Lucky you ! Look after those two, they are getting to be as hard to find
as hen's teeth. And with the right MIDI patches they make a nice noise.

> Do you know what soundcore, soundlow, and sound actually do?

Just that they make the soundcard work.

> And I also need bare.i (and a sound card and speakers, of course).

Yes.

> What does MPLAYER do?

MPLAYER is a general purpose media player for videos of many types. There
are a great mass of codecs that go with it. It is something of a monster, and
not for lightweight equipment.

BTW: I said I found XANIM to be a disappointment. I have since located the
fault - a mechanical fault (the nut in front of the keyboard was less than
perfect).
It now works just fine and runs AVI, MOV and QT videos (with sound).

My next trick is to try to get XMOVIE working. It is complaining of not
finding library libXv.so.1 , which is not part of Slackware7.1, so I will
have to search for it.

Regards,
Ron

--