baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound in BL2

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound in BL2
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 22:52:16 -0500 (EST)

> Ah, this is starting to sound familiar. I was getting that sort of
> message
> before I got the soundcard properly configured. My script for loading the
> sound
> modules is totally specific to a Creative Labs Soundblaster 16. For any
> other
> card (including a Vibra16 which is also from Creative Labs and runs in DOS
> with the same drivers as the SB16) it sinmply will not load the card.

Many thanks for the warning. We have 4 SB16 cards of which one is a
Vibra16 so I will avoid using that one. Do you know the difference
between Vibra16 and Soundblaster other than that linux does not like
Vibra16?

I found a 233MHz computer (disguised as 166 - the front panel reads 166 so
someone set the BIOS to match without looking at the cpu) that has THREE
ISA slots and will use that instead of the 300MHz with only 2 slots so I
can put in an SB ISA Soundblaster card for linux. One recently scrapped
computer came with NO ISA slots - Windows only, or external modem, or
linmodem. That must be why people bother with linmodems.

The SB cards are all PlugNPlay - would that be a problem with Linux?
There may also be jumpers, and I can ask Windows about things like IRQ.

> AMP plays MP3s, not MIDIs. For MIDIs you need TIMIDITY and a good
> set of MIDI patches properly installed.

What is a MIDI patch?

> > I don't know why I'm trying so hard to configure sound on a laptop with
> > only a single little tinny speaker, but I will be grateful for any help.

Obviously you like challenges or you would not be here.

Sindi Keesan