baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera 7 and glibc/cxx update work well

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera 7 and glibc/cxx update work well
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:20:37 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004, Ron Clarke wrote:

> > What do I need other than bare.i to do sound on this computer? I presume
> > that an ESS sound chip won't work, but maybe I can disable that and put
> > in
> > a CT Soundblaster card. There was something about a sound module.
>
> I have got sound working on this machine, with an original SB16
> soundcard and
> real kick-ass ex-HiFi speakers. I now do MIDI, MOD and MP3s.

What is MOD?

> The modules for sound have been set in a bash script (my first bash
> script)
> for convenience.
>
> #!/bin/bash
> insmod soundcore
> insmod soundlow
> insmod sound
> insmod v_midi
> insmod uart401
> insmod sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=0
>
> You may have to amend the last line to match your own setup.

I have some old SB16 cards with jumpers I can set. Two of them even let
you put in 2 1M 30-pin SIMMS to give better sounding MIDI (something to do
with loading wavetables). Unfortunately my fastest computer has no free
ISA slots as I have filled them both with the modem and my HGC card.
Is there some way to use linux with an ESS sound card? Or audiopc card?
They have large Win98 drivers (up to 8M). Or I can try an older computer,
we have lots.

> > I want
> > to try Realaudio with linux for fun. The websites I listened to using
> > Opera broadcast realaudio 8 - is there a version of this for linux? Also
> > realmedia, whatever that is, and Windows Media Player format (which I
> > suspect linux won't do). One of them needed DirectX, which Linux does
> > not
> > support because of security issues. Anyone want to explain this?
>
> I have successfully installed RealPlayer8, and updated codecs, into BL21
> without any extra libraries from Slackware 8. It works. It will play
> RealMedia
> (.rm), RealAudio (.ra), and MP3 files too. It runs under X and icewm.

Thanks for letting me know it can work.

> All you need is available from the Real website, after you fill in a form
> giving some info about yourself (including your email address).
>
> I have also gotten MTV (plays MPEGs) to install and run, and another MP3
> player
> (gqmpeg).
>
> Xine was a bit of a disappointment, though I did get it to work - after a
> fashion.

What is that?

> Heck, if I can install all of them, you surely can. :)

I think you have more experience with this.

> OTOH: Multimedia IS important to me - I sequence MIDIs, make MP3s and so
> on, so
> I have some motivation to make it work.

What sort of MIDI files have you done and are they online?