baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera 7 and glibc/cxx update work well

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera 7 and glibc/cxx update work well
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 08:02:33 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> Is it possible to install BL2 to hard drive with
> the SW81 runtime libraries rather than installing
> the original ones

The libraries that are installed come directly from the
BL2 ramdisk (along with everything else). They are not
a distinct package (and in fact are only a subset of the
libraries in the complete runtime package).

> This was glibc6-solibs and cxxlibs.

glibc-solibs-2.2.5-i386-2.tgz
cxxlibs-6.2.1-i386-1.tgz

> Which of the BL2 files is cxxlibs,

None. The cxxlibs are not included in the base BL2
installation.

> is it included in glibc.tgz?

No. The cxxlibs package in Slackware 7.1 is in the a3
directory.

> The installation program presumably looks for the required
> list of packages on CD or hard drive.

The installation routine is a bash script (/usr/lib/setup/go).
It starts by displaying instructions and then checks that the
partition is ready. If everything is OK, it gets to this line:
pkg="2/bin 2/e2fsprog 3/gzip 4/fileutls 6/grep 6/hdsetup 6/ldso 13/tar"
That is where the package names (with directories) are specified.

> Could I substitute the later glibc for the earlier one by
> renaming it?

As you can see, there is no library package in that list.

BTW before you become too excited about the glibc2.2 libraries
from Slackware 8.1, keep in mind that more and more binaries
are now appearing that require glibc2.3. The Slackware 8.1
libraries are no better for them than the libraries in BL2
(or the libraries in BL1 for that matter). If you really want
to be up-to-date, the libraries in Slackware 9.1 should be much
more useful. However, I don't know if they will install as
readily as the libraries from Slackware 8.1. At some point
the new bells+whistles are going to barf on the BL2 base.