baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera 7 and glibc/cxx update work well

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera 7 and glibc/cxx update work well
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 15:53:26 -0500 (EST)

Thanks for this information. I will install the SW 8.1 runtime libraries
and maybe remove the older glibc by going to the directory it is in as you
suggested earlier. At the moment the only thing I wanted to run that
required a newer library was Opera, but I will keep in mind that it is
possible to continue updating libraries (and eventually to compile my own
kernel 2.4 or whatever number they are up to by now if some program needs
that too).

I am about to attempt to compile openssl so that I can use it to compile
lynx-ssl 2.8.5dev. After this kernel compilation should be a breeze ;)
(I can compile without networking and maybe with sound - is there anything
else that I might want to add or subtract?)

What would it take to use a DVD-ROM drive with linux to play movies?
(Other than getting sound working first, and probably Xvesa for graphics).
Someone gave us one from Samsung that I don't know how to use at all.
The public library now has free DVDs. They have discontinued vinyl
records and cassette tapes. (I have not done so). We downloaded three
Win98 files purporting to be drivers and none of them looked useful nor
did they work when installed and used with RealOne DVD player.