baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera 7 and glibc/cxx update work well

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera 7 and glibc/cxx update work well
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 10:43:56 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> the only thing I wanted to run that required a newer
> library was Opera,

Before you install glibc2.2, make sure that is what the
new Opera needs. It might be up to glibc2.3 by now.

> to compile my own kernel 2.4 or whatever number they
> are up to by now if some program needs that too

The newer kernels are a minefield of options. Select the
wrong one (eg. devfs) and your old filesystem won't boot
properly (unless you add the devfs=nomount parameter to
loadlin).

> I can compile without networking

Don't forget that PPP requires networking capability.

> is there anything else that I might want to add or subtract?

If the kernel is going to be for one specific computer,
optimize the kernel for that CPU (there is an obvious
option for that in the config). If you only need a few
modules, hardwire them into the kernel instead of making
modules (turning off the kernel's module-loading capability
should make it smaller/faster). Turn off all unneeded
capabilities (there are hundreds of options).