baslinux - Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:49:28 +1300

Anthony J. Albert wrote:

> If it is possible to compile xvesa under libc5, then it might
> very well be worth giving a try - but from Steven's post, I
> suspect that might be difficult.

Difficult for me, yes. In order to compile Xvesa, you require
the complete sourcecode for the full XFree86. I hate to think
how big that is. 100mb? 200mb? It would take forever on my
33.6 modem (at $1 per hour) and would probably overflow my HD.

> I have tried to run compiles on a 4MB 386SX,

Ouch! Compiling is the toughest stuff you can do on a computer.
You need plenty of RAM and CPU grunt. For kernel compiles, I
use Mosix to combine a P166 (64mb RAM) and a P200 (128mb RAM).
Even then, it takes half an hour.