baslinux - Re: [BL] BL and the small web browser

  • From: Howard Eisenberger <howarde AT gmx.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL and the small web browser
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:55:56 -0400

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 05:09:14PM +0000, Neo Sze Wee wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 07:34:15AM +0000, qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
> > Neo Sze Wee wrote:
> > >
> > > If I have a very old 486 with 4 ram
> >
> > BL1 will work on that machine.
> >
> > > will I be able to run links 2.1?
> >
> > We have been running links 2.1.9 on BL2. I would be
> > surprised if it worked on BL1.
> >
> > > I asked this because I have tried several compilations of
> > > links 2.x using svgalib and none of them work on console.
> > > I have all the libraries you mentioned here. What can
> > > be wrong?
> >
> > The svgalib in BL1 is very old and very small. It only
>
> I am not using BL1 but something equivalent to BL2.
>
> If I am using the latest svgalib and I still have problem with links
> 2.x, what do you think is the problem? The problem can be: links 2.x
> does not work at all; graphich garbage is diaplayed, sometimes with a
> big cursor but totally unresponsive to further comman; or nothing at
> all, I have to reboot. Maybe my commuter does not have the chip? But
> yet I can use zgv.

I haven't tried the static version yet, but I compiled links 2.1pre7
(svgalib, shared libs) Slack 7.1 on a P133 with 32mg ram. I also have
a Slack 7.1 partition on a 486sx with 8mg ram. It works on the P133
with mem=8M, but when I tried to run it on the 486sx, I got a big
cursor on a black screen and it seemed to be frozen, although when I
let it go for 10 or 15 minutes it finally loaded, but was so slow that
all I could do was "q" to get out.

Zgv works (more or less) on both PC's. If I get any further with this,
I'll let you know.

Howard E.