baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 word processors

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 word processors
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 10:43:43 -0400 (EDT)

I heard back from the author of flwriter - here is his letter and my
answer.

To: Jean-Marc Lienher <oksid AT bluewin.ch>
Subject: Re: flwriter crashes and lags

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Jean-Marc Lienher wrote:

> keesan AT cyberspace.org a écrit :
> >
> > I am using a binary of flwriter compiled for Basiclinux 2.0 (a branch of
> > Slackware 7.1).
>
> First of all, thank you for your bug report.
>
> But it's hard for me to know where the problem is.
> It looks like your are using flwriter with a different shared
> library version than the one used to compile it.
>
> The best thing that you can do is to recompile it using the current
> sources.

The author of Basiclinux compiled flwriter very recently, and specifically
for Slackware 7.1, and I used the libraries from Slackware 7.1. I will
forward your mail to him. He would like to make flwriter work with
Basiclinux.

> Sorry, I can't help you much more, because I don't know how flwriter
> was compiled.

> > If I try to type right away the first word often does not appear, then
> > after I hit an Enter key the following words appear (this problem is not
> > all that reproducible) but there is a couple seconds lag between typing
> > and seeing what I type. (I can type five words before the first appears).
> >

> This can be caused by a large Unicode font, the X server must load it
> before it can display it. Try to use another font.

I am a beginner. I have not even used X until two days ago. I have not
loaded any fonts, I just left things as defaults. I am using a 640x480
resolution and 75-dpi fonts.

This problem of the lag (and I think also of the segmentation faults) goes
away as soon as I click on File Edit Tool or Help - then everything goes
at normal speed. There are two kinds of lag - one when I type Alt-F or
Alt-T to access the menu (I need to wait about two seconds before I can
see the menu) and one when I type text. After I click on the menu both of
these lag problems go away, and I think it also no longer crashes.

It does not help to click on the toolbar, just the menu. When I click on
the menu, the submenu appears immediately (no lag) and after that the
submenu also appears immediately when I type Alt-F or Alt-T.

> > mouse as little as possible and would also appreciate if you could add to
> > the menus a way to center, right align, bold, underline and italic, and
> > also change font size. I hate having to take my hand off the keyboard in
> > the middle of a sentence just to chase down the mouse.
> >
> Ok, I will add this feature in the next release

Many thanks.

> > Apart from that it is a great program. I have not found any documentation
> > for it yet but hope to get the Cyrillic part working.
>
> Yes, documentation is not my best point :-)

> You should simply select a font that can display Cyrillic characters.
> (After having setup your keyboard and your LANG environnemental
> variable).

I will ask how to do this.

> .
> Regards,