baslinux - Re: [BL] BL and the small web browser

  • From: JP Piers ( drinou ) <f5nlg AT tiscali.fr>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL and the small web browser
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 08:44:11 +0000

le Tue, 15 Apr 2003 18:33:56 -0500 (CDT)
James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net> écrit:

> Just a point of clarification. I've been with BL for a couple of years
> now, and know it to be a distro developed pretty independently of any
> other (except, of course, Slackware). Since Steven has released the
> latest update (to 2.0), someone who is developing another smallish distro,
> and one that happens to be based on the same Slackware version (7.1) as
> BL, has appeared - JP, who has made several posts to this list. It seems
> like these 2 distros, though almost entirely independently developed,
> could be actually quite complementary. It seems that binaries developed
> for one may well work "out of the box" for the other. But it is important
> to note that, as of now, this is more or less coincidental. Steven is
> not, so far as I know, making concerted efforts to develop BL to be
> complementary with JP's distro, nor is, likely, JP, tailoring his distro
> and binaries to be compatible with BL. I would think that, unless these 2
> developers decide to merge their distros, the best thing each might do
> along lines you've suggested, is to link to one anothers' sites, and to
> mention that binaries or other components found on that other site might
> well work with the distro promoted at the site linked from.

Hi James and the list

In the same order of idea :

For me BL is a marvelous small distro and i like the phylosophie of it. mines
are much bigger than BL ( about 105mb for drinou-linux , 45mb for loopham and
45mb for sonnyou ) drinou-linux is the more "user friendlyé" but
but only in french profiles, man pages etc ... )

sonnyou is a general purpose text linux distro the home page of drinou and
sonnyou in french is http://217.109.169.18/drinou
loopham is an ham-radio text linux distro ( french and english ) the home
page in french and english is http://zipham.free.fr then choose loopham. the
core of the 3 distrib is verry similar (slack 7.1 :-)

Changing all the times in libs is not a good think ( my point of view )
that's a Linux developpement error and libc 2.13 is very stable. The best way
to learn linux is to start by the text mode as BL do then having more tools
that's the deal of sonnyou and finaly have a complete X system like drinou.

For me, exchanging more with BL, ideas etc.. ,learn some things like
plip,kermit ... on this list is very nice.

An interesting developpment plans should be for example BL became the small
linux install program and the "core" of drinou-linux or sonnyou distrib but
if you are interesting in that we need to work together for keeping a good
compatibility (i use a similar way as BL do for installing drinou-linux), for
example i have a very bad network support but i have midnight commander on my
small linux install distro, i used busybox so i can't give the core to my
distro etc ... on the other hand i can help to make an bootable iso of BL as
you now on new PC's there is no DOS so it's not possible to boot BL. If i
found some people to help me translate sonnyou in other languanges (english,
spanish ..) and docs i will do it ( sonnyou is intended to be a small linux
server in text mode with firewall, web server, ftp, irc, jabber etc ... for
home users or small office )

Maybee we can plans to make something with tgz-get for BL and others slack
7.1 disro or to expand the possibility of BL. the major difference between
original slack 7.1 and my distrib's core is i used kernel 2.2.19 who support
some usb hardware. like webcam, zip drive, printers etc and i have plans to
change to 2.2.23 for a better usb support as usb modem, adsl etc but no plans
for now on 2.4 kernel ...

The deal should be starting with BL , become BL-Sonnyou then finaly BL-Drinou
a "modular" linux ditrib more easy to upgrade ( tgz-get ? )than for now with
packages from slack7.1 . The other advantage i see is to combine our efforts
and knowledge.

excuse me for posting this big mail on list but i dont know exactly how many
people work on BL

you can reply in private if you want at f5nlg AT tiscali.fr

cheers

Jean-Philippe