baslinux - Re: [BL] Mail clients

  • From: Howard Eisenberger <howarde AT gmx.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Mail clients
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 10:46:28 -0400

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 03:54:28PM +0000, Neo Sze Wee wrote:

> > I was also able to send mail from Mutt using pmail instead of
> > sendmail by postponing (instead of sending) in Mutt and then using
> > Mutt's postponed folder as pmail's outbox.
>
> I am also using postponed folder. How do you avoid mail you really want
> to postpone? I do it by remapping the postpone folder to a different
> folder like this:
>
> macro compose y ":set postponed=+postponed_ssmtp\nq\n:set
> postponed=+postponed\n"
>
> and using procmail, formail and ssmtp to send them:
>
> formail -s procmail /root/procmailrc.ssmtp < /root/Mail/postponed_ssmtp
>
> for i in /root/mail/new/*; do
> cat $i | ssmtp -v -t
> fi
> done
>
> However it would be better if I can simulate sendmail to capture the
> mail send by mutt.

You've got further than me with this. I'm only testing BL, so I don't
really have to use it for email. I only tried the Mutt postpone + pmail
"hack" once. I had a quick look at ssmtp (and nullmailer), but didn't
figured out how to use them. I was able to set up sendmail (although
I'm more used to exim), and would probably want a "real" mailer, if
I was running BL full-time.

There's certainly no shortage of things to experiment with in Linux.

Howard E.