baslinux - [BL] Pine success! (& a bit on BL2 browsers)

  • From: jamtat AT mailsnare.net
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Pine success! (& a bit on BL2 browsers)
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 22:51:40 +0000

Quoting qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org:

> Unless Sahara (konq/e) turns out to be viable, it is looking
> more and more like links2 for 486/586 and Mozilla for better
> hardware. I still haven't tried the latest Opera and it's
> possible we could see a better version of dillo sometime, so
> don't give up on those yet.

Sorry for dropping the ball a bit on the browser front. I had a bad spell
with my BL partitions, as I mentioned. I don't really have any reservations
about whether Links2 is the right graphical browser for BL on a 486: it gets
my unqualified support. Dillo would certainly perform better (faster), but
it
won't do many things that Links2 will. I do have more testing/browsing to do
with it, but to date it is a huge improvement performance-wise over any of
the
other graphical browsers (Opera, BrowseX) I've tried on this 486. The Mac
Konqueror adaptation is called "Safari," not Sahara, btw.

It seems I've found a way to make Pine 4.21 download (and delete, I presume)
all messages from a POP server. Thus, it can sort of act as its own MRA
(mail
retrieval agent), not necessarily needing another program like fetchmail for
this. The way this works, to describe it briefly, is that Pine checks the
POP
server and displays a list of message headers. By pressing a series of keys
(4 keys), one can save the entire list of message contents to a local folder.

Though I have yet to confirm this (I'm not at that machine at the moment and
won't have access to it for a couple of days) the messages are marked for
deletion from the server after they're saved locally. Thus, Pine essentially
acts as both an MRA and an MUA (mail user agent) in this scheme. If this
seems helpful and others are interested, I can later post a more detailed
description of how to set this up and how it works.