baslinux - Re: [BL] X on Hercules mono for dummies

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X on Hercules mono for dummies
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 15:28:18 +0000

sindi keesan wrote:

> I have never installed X before.

--------------------
installpkg xbin.tgz
installpkg xcfg.tgz
installpkg xfnts.tgz
installpkg xlib.tgz
installpkg xvg16.tgz
installpkg xpm.tgz
installpkg bl2-x.tgz
startx
--------------------

> The O'Reilly Running Linux book says to use

It is not necessary to use the O'Reilly book.
Just follow the instructions above.

> 1. XF86Setup to run a graphical config

If you wish to use this, you must install it from
Slackware 7.1: /slakware/x1/xset.tgz

> 2. ConfigXF86 for a text mode program.

Are you sure about that name? The usual text mode
program is called xf86config.

> I attempted to do 3. and then I edited xinitrc
> substitutnig icewm for twm and remakring out xclock.

If you wish to edit the startup file for X, you should
edit /root/.xinitrc (note the dot before the xinitrc).

> When I type xinit (or startx),

They are not interchangeable. Use startx.