b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Judges 16:30 - Verb with no use, MY PROBLEM!

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: kgraham0938 AT comcast.net
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Judges 16:30 - Verb with no use, MY PROBLEM!
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 14:19:19 +0500

On 04/10/2006 03:26, kgraham0938 AT comcast.net wrote:
Hello Peter,
I am curious about your statement about WAYIH:YW = become as opposed to 'were.' What do you think is the difference btw Judges 16:30 and Genesis 2:25?
WAYIH:YW $N"HEM `RWMMIYM.... would you translate this as "They became naked.." or am I misreading your point? Thanks
Sorry to be slow replying to this. I have been out of touch. But others have said it all. They came into being naked. They did not become naked in the sense of having previously been clothed. But this is the next stage in the story.

But the chapter division is perhaps unfortunate for it misses the contrast between this verse and the next one, in which HYH `ARUM is used with a different construction commonly used to mark contrast with the previous WAYYIQTOL clause. I even wonder if "naked" is a mistranslation here. A different word form (although obviously related) is used in 3:10,11. So perhaps the point in 2:25 is that they became shrewd or "streetwise", in other words over time in the garden they learned by experience. This would be an event, for which "became" is obviously appropriate.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org