b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Judges 16:30 - Verb with no use, MY PROBLEM!

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Judges 16:30 - Verb with no use, MY PROBLEM!
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 18:44:15 -0400

Dear Yonah,

Below are some "late" examples of HYH clearly meaning "became" *without* lamed. A couple cases have lamed in the sentence but not on the predicate nominative.

Actually, most cases where lamed is used throughout the Tanakh refer to the special case of the transfer of a thing from the possession of one party to another.

2 Chr 17:12 vayhiy yehoshaphat holek vegadel `ad lema`elah
And Yehoshaphat continued to grow great...

Eze 19:3 kephiyr hayah
like a lion he became...

Eze 23:10 vattehiy shem lannashiym
she became famous...

Eze 35:15 shemamah tihyeh
desolate you will become...

Lam 3:14 hayiytiy sexoq lecol `ammiy
I became a joke to all my people...

Shalom,
Bryan

Yonah Mishael wrote:
Dear Bryan:

I would really like evidence from outside of the Torah. I think there
was a large span of time between the penning of the Torah narratives
and that of Judges, and it would account for differences in language.
I do not have time right now to look anything up, but I have assumed
(I know this is risky business) that by the time of the writing of the
Judges narrative, the use of HYH with a lamed prefix had become more
standard. In the language of the Torah, the lamed prefix was not yet
used as the standard mark of change with the HYH verb.

I hope to be able to look into this later, but this is an assumption I
have worked from for a little while. Do you have any information about
HYH plus L-prefix as it may appear either in the Torah or in later
texts?

Todah,
Yonah