b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Judges 16:30 - Verb with no use, Chris's PROBLEM!

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "'B-Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Judges 16:30 - Verb with no use, Chris's PROBLEM!
  • Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 13:36:40 -0400

Dear Chris,
You did use the verb "to be" when you translated. You said "those who were
killed by means of his death WERE more than those he killed during his
life." The KJV used to translate sentences like this as "And it came to
pass that" which reflects the LXX evgeneto (which isn't here in this verse
actually). It is important to remember that in the normal Hebrew narrative
voice, the verb in wayiqtol begins the sentence. The normal narrative
sentence structure is VSO, verb -subject-object, or VSP,
verb-subject-predicate. Here, the verb is "were", the subject is "those that
he killed by means of his death", the predicate is "more than he killed
during his life." There are nominal sentences, with no verb "to be," but
those cannot move the narrative along. Sentences which move the narrative
along have the verb "to be" in wayiqtol at the beginning of the sentence.
I hope this helps.
Liz Fried