b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Judges 16:30 - Verb with no use, MY PROBLEM!

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Judges 16:30 - Verb with no use, MY PROBLEM!
  • Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 23:09:50 -0400

Hi Yonah,

Well, since we got a "WOW" out of you, let me press the issue.

You accept that the wayyiqtol sentence is story line. Explain how the expression of a state or condition such as "they were naked" can be part of a story line.

I think you are right that the sentence with the wayyiqtol verb is part of the story line, but *your English sentence* sounds like background instead.

My English sentence does sound like story line.

I seem to be disagreeing with your translation, but it is really more than that. I think I disagree with you about what the Hebrew sentence means.

Shalom,
Bryan