b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Judges 16:30 - Verb with no use, MY PROBLEM!

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Judges 16:30 - Verb with no use, MY PROBLEM!
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 10:19:02 -0400

Hi George,

Your last line catches my eye, "Just goes to show that Wayyiqtol can't really represent consecutive action."

Actually, Gen 2:25 doesn't *show* anything about whether wayyiqtol, as a form, represents consecutive action. You began with an idea about what the verse means, and then you read the wayyiqtol accordingly. I do the same thing. And it's fine that we read the wayyiqtol differently, as long as we realize we are doing it and representing ourselves honestly.

We are going to have a very hard time "showing" to everyone's satisfaction that wayyiqtol means a certain thing. Such is the imperfect (excuse the pun) nature of our knowledge of BH.

Shalom,
Bryan

George Athas wrote:
The Wayyiqtol form does not say anything about the nature of the action.
Rather, in line with aspect, it tells you (the reader) how to view the
action. As such, it is simply alerting you to the fact that you should go on
reading the story from the point of view of them being naked. It says
nothing about whether they once were or were not naked. Rather, it is simply
saying that for the purposes of the story at hand, "THEY HAPPENED TO BE"
[Heb: wayyihyu] naked.

Just goes to show that Wayyiqtol can't really represent consecutive action.

Best Regards,
GEORGE ATHAS Moore Theological College 1 King St, Newtown 2042, Australia Ph: (+61 2) 9577 9774

--
B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church