b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] LORD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dr Dale M Wheeler <dalemw AT multnomah.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] LORD
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 09:47:48 -0800

Rolf Furuli wrote:

One important fact regarding the DSS is for the most part neglected
in discussions about the name, namely, that the substitute used in
Qumran manuscripts is *not* )DNWNY but )L. Thus the KURIOS of NT and
LXX manuscripts of the 2nd century C.E. have no antecedent! The
argument is that at the beginning of C.E. the name was no longer
pronounced, but was substituted by )DNWNY. Because of this the LXX
translators and the NT writers translated )DNWNY with KURIOS. And
that is the reason why KURIOS with reference to God is found both
places. But the problem is the the most important link, the first one
is lacking. There is no indication that )DNWNY (or Aramaic MR)/MRY)
was used as a substitute for YHWH in B.C.E.! And there is no
evidence that i generally was substituted in the days of Jesus. Thus
the pointing of YHWH by the Masoretes cannot be traced back longer
than to the days of Jehuda hannasi and Mishnaic times.

Rolf:

I'm not sure that you are suggesting this, but the implication, it seems to me, from what you are saying is that the Masoretes borrowed the later Christian practice of using KURIOS for the divine name and so pointed YHWH as Adonai, rather than the other way around, ie., Christians chose KURIOS because the traditional pronunciation of the Hebrew text for the divine name was the Hebrew word for "Lord", "My Lord[s]" (??). Does it not seem a bit unlikely that the Masoretes would follow Christian conventions? Does it not seem also a bit unlikely that the Masoretes would have "accidentally" used the Adonai vowels with YHWH, since they in all likelihood knew that the Christians were using KURIOS??

Blessings...

Dale M. Wheeler, Ph.D.
Research Prof., Biblical Languages Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street Portland, OR 97220
V: 503-251-6416 F:503-251-6478 E: dalemw AT multnomah.edu