b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] LORD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: joshua AT can-do.net, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] LORD
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 00:39:03 EST

In a message dated 2/11/2003 11:55:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
joshua AT can-do.net writes:

> Did the LXX translation use Kurios for the name YHWH before the rise of
> Christianity? I am not an expert on the LXX (or much else for that
> matter!),
> but many of the books I have read concerning the LXX would disagree.
>
> While not specifically dealing with the issue of the Tetragrammaton in the
> LXX, "A Wandering Aramean" by Joseph Fitzmyer contains a chapter called
> "The
> New Testament Kyrios-Title" that has information about the Tetragrammaton
> in the LXX that directly relates to this question:
>
> "But there are serious arguments against this alleged pre-Christian use [of
> kurios] in the LXX, and H. Conzelmann has succinctly summed them up in his
> attempt to relate the NT kyrios-title to a Hellenistic pagan background. He
> writes: <snip>

There are several things to be noted in the material you presented (consult
original for details).

1. The use of IAO would indicate a transcription of the tetragrammaton in
some form and could conceivably indicate a pronunciation -- date c. 50.

2. The actual use of the tetragrammaton itself in some texts of the LXX mss.
would probably point to a qere / ketib situation where the Hebrew
tetragrammaton would be replaced by another word since it would be likely for
a Greek-speaker to use a Greek term -- probably KURIOS.

3. The NT use of KURIOS in quotations where the tetragrammation is present
in the original likewise points to a qere / qetib.

4. Since the split between the synagogue and the church dating from about
the time of the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 and the subsequent adding of a
"blessing" (i.e. a curse) on the Nazoreans in the Berakot of the synagogue,
it would be highly unlikely that the Jews would adopt a christian practice
which had not already been a part of Judaism itself.

When what is written is not always what is pronounced, it is difficult to
maintain that the written form was pronounced. How old the practice of the
perpetual qere for the tetragrammaton might be is difficult to say, but I
would venture to say that it was pre-christian and therefore most definitely
not due to any trinitarian tendencies.

********
The assertion that the tetragrammaton was replaced due to trinitarian
considerations is a two-edged sword for those who deny that the early church
was trinitarian since it would require that the doctrine of the trinity was
already present at an early date. They cannot maintain that the early church
was not trinitarian and simultaneously maintain that the church replaced the
tetragrammaton due to trinitarian considerations!

gfsomsel