b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] LORD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: furuli AT online.no
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] LORD
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 11:00:26 +0100

Dear Bill,

If we look at the question from a historical point of view, it was not a particular interpretation of Scripture that caused people to stop pronouncing YHWH, but rather foreign influence. In the centuries after Alexander the Great, the Jews were in many ways influenced by Greek thoughts, including Plato's view that God is nameless. "A bitter struggle between Hellenists and Hasidim centered around the pronunciation of the Divine Name." according to rabbi A. Marmorstein (1927) "The Old Rabbinic Doctrine of God", p 13. The people at Qumran ceased pronouncing the name while the Pharisees, Haemerobaptistae and others continued to pronounce the name.

There are three passages in the Tanach that has something to do with the use of the name, namely, Lev 24.16, Ex 3.15 and 20:7. Manuscripts of the LXX from the second century C.E. translate Lev 24:16 in a way suggesting that the name should not be used (we do not know the original wording); Targum Onkelos does about the same. However, the rabbis of old did *not* use Lev 24:16 or Ex 20:7 as reason for not pronouncing the name, according to G. F. Moore (1955) "Judaism in the First Centuries of the Christian Era. the Age of the Tannaim Judaism", vol I, p. 428.

It is quite strange that the very passage that definitely says that the name should always be used, is the passage that was used to show that the name should not be pronounced, namely, Ex 3:15. For those interested in the four fanciful ways the words of this verse were explained to say the opposite of what they do say, please look at the Jewish lexicon M. M. Kasher (1967) "The Encyclopedia of Biblical Interpretation", vol II, p. 109.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo

Dear Christian Scholars,
I asked Rabbi Moshe Laurie, about the 'name in vain' commandment. We agrEed that a literal translation would be " NO MAKING / DOING A NAME OF THE LORD GOD".
I aked him what it would mean to make (or do) a name, and he said "USE".(an idea thAt comes up in Amos 6:10), as in the Orthodox Jewish tradition generally.Am I suposed to say "ALLE:U-ADONAI"? Anthropologists have studied a phenomenon that might be called name-referent confusion Could that be playing a role here? As for invoking the doctrine of the Trinity to help "traanslate" the tetragrammaton, there are a number of heresies one might waant to svoid. Rendering the Tetragraammaaton as "Yesshua" or "Jesus" might leave one open to a charge of Sabellianism (A a "CONFUSION OF THE PERSONS" heresy).Perhaps the tetragraammaton is like the three dot ellipsis in
1, 2, 3, ... .. The problem with translating or saying it is that it represents the infinte. Imaagine some poor translaator trrying to trranslate an English Math book into French. He or she would be ill-advised to attempt:
un, deux, trois, quatre, cinq,
--and so on for hundreds of pages! Omitting the vowels in G-d or YHWH or YVVH puts us on the right track. In the spirit of a via negativa, wwe are referring to the One who is beyond names. He is the one with a thousand names, the one we find in the perfec Silence.
Yours truly,
W. S. (Bill) Anglin
pS If anyone wishes to discuss Hebrew or ORthodox Jewish traddition with an extremely talented and educated man, I reccommend Moshse Laurie. He has HAS A PASSIONSTE INTEREST IN THE USE/trrraanslation of yhwh AAND HIS EMAIL IS moshe3 @aaol.com