b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] LORD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Penner" <pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] LORD
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 16:49:26 -0500

Regarding the DSS Isaiah scroll's use of divine names, Burrows first
addressed the issue in the 1949 BASOR, esp. page 31. He noted that three
forms: the tetragrammaton, Elohim, and Adonay, were used haphazardly in
1QIsaA. Sometimes the change is from the Tetragrammaton to Adonay (as in
3:18), and sometimes the reverse (3:17). His guess is that the scribe
was taking dictation, but he was not willing to draw any conclusions
about ineffability.

Ken Penner, McMaster/DSS
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PennerThesis