b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] LORD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lew Osborne" <osbo AT hn.ozemail.com.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] LORD
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 14:25:18 +1000

Rolf Furuli

These comments are getting more and more interesting... We have had a
dialogue on the rights of those that want to use Yahweh and the rights of
those that want to use G-d. We have had a treatise from a Rabbi and from
Luther, all very interestign stuff.

Isaiah 452:7 says "I am the Yahweh: that is my name:..." Exodus 3:15 says
"....Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The Yahweh Elohim of
your fathers, the Elohim of Abraham, the Elohim of Isaac, and the Elohim of
Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my
memorial unto all generations."

This is my name for ever... Forget the dialogue of Luther for get our
rights and the rights of others in this issue, the Christian Churches
through the translators and in neglect of the command of Yahweh decided
what was appropriate for the universal faith of the Christian Church.

>From a translation point of view, and this is the issue, it shgould be
translaterd where appropriate and transliterated also in conformity with
other namjes where appropriate. If the Christian churches have got it
wrong, which they appear to have, then they can correct it.

Lew Osborne