b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] LORD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bill Anglin" <billanglin11 AT msn.com>
  • To: <furuli AT online.no>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] LORD
  • Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 19:56:30 -0500

Dear Christian Scholars,
I asked Rabbi Moshe Laurie, about the 'name in vain' commandment. We agrEed
that a literal translation would be " NO MAKING / DOING A NAME OF THE LORD
GOD".
I aked him what it would mean to make (or do) a name, and he said "USE".(an
idea thAt comes up in Amos 6:10), as in the Orthodox Jewish tradition
generally.Am I suposed to say "ALLE:U-ADONAI"? Anthropologists have studied a
phenomenon that might be called name-referent confusion Could that be
playing a role here? As for invoking the doctrine of the Trinity to help
"traanslate" the tetragrammaton, there are a number of heresies one might
waant to svoid. Rendering the Tetragraammaaton as "Yesshua" or "Jesus" might
leave one open to a charge of Sabellianism (A a "CONFUSION OF THE PERSONS"
heresy).Perhaps the tetragraammaton is like the three dot ellipsis in
1, 2, 3, ... .. The problem with translating or saying it is that it
represents the infinte. Imaagine some poor translaator trrying to trranslate
an English Math book into French. He or she would be ill-advised to attempt:
un, deux, trois, quatre, cinq,
--and so on for hundreds of pages! Omitting the vowels in G-d or YHWH or YVVH
puts us on the right track. In the spirit of a via negativa, wwe are
referring to the One who is beyond names. He is the one with a thousand
names, the one we find in the perfec Silence.
Yours truly,
W. S. (Bill) Anglin
pS If anyone wishes to discuss Hebrew or ORthodox Jewish traddition with an
extremely talented and educated man, I reccommend Moshse Laurie. He has HAS
A PASSIONSTE INTEREST IN THE USE/trrraanslation of yhwh AAND HIS EMAIL IS
moshe3 @aaol.com