b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] LORD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] LORD
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 14:32:38 -0700

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 13:42, furuli AT online.no wrote:
> Dear Michael,
>
> Nobody would deny that some persons of the Qumran people, or perhaps
> all of them used a subatitute for the tetragrammaton. But this does
> not prove that other groups did the same in B.C.E.

Actually, since it has long been established that many if not most of the
scrolls were not produced at Qumran but were brought in from other places, it
does strongly suggest that the practice was quite widespread.

> The words you quote from Wurthwein are not found in my 1979-edition
> of his work. If you quote correctly, this is a blatant example of a
> misleading statement in a book by a fine scholar. Or rather, before
> it is verified that Wurthwein himself wrote these words, I am
> inclined to think that a misinformed translator or editor added the
> words.

Rolf,
In the 1979 edition, see page 146. Michael's 1995 edition is a revision and
hence the page numbers are different. The statement in question is opposite
the photo of the Habakkuk commentary, which in "our" edition (I also have the
1979) is on p. 147. And I checked the photographic edition of the Isaiah
scroll, and Wurthwein is right about 3:17. It does read `adonai. The scribe
has put dots (indicating erasure) under the letters of `adonai and written
YHWH above the line. I haven't checked all of the references about the
converse, but I have no doubt they're accurate: 1QIsa reads YHWH for `adonai
in those places. What does this tell us? It tells us that the scribe was
reading along and copying his exemplar, when he came to YHWH. He pronounced
it `adonai in his mind and just automatically wrote it that way, then
realized what he had done and corrected it to YHWH. In the other places, he
saw `adonai and his mind substituted YHWH. This combination of factors
indicates that YHWH was vocalized as `adonai by this scribe. And it's really
doubtful that this was an isolated practice.

Regarding your repeated statement that the DSS substitute El rather than
`adonai, Wurthwein addresses that as well, on the same page: "In the text of
the commentary itself [the Habakkuk commentary] the tetragrammaton is avoided
and 'el is used in its place." The pHab seems to be unusual among the DSS in
this regard, especially in light of the evidence from the Isaiah scroll. So
it's a bit of an overstatement, at the very least, to say that this was the
most common practice among the DSS.