b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] LORD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jane Harper <jharper AT woh.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] LORD
  • Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 15:14:27 -0500

At 14:35 2/8/2003, you wrote:
I disagree. I personally think that a whole lot that is wrong
in Christian-Jewish relations would be healed if YHWH were
written in Christian OTs, and if the name Yahweh or Yahu were said.
I think that ought to be done in temples and synagogues too.
I brought a Christian friend to temple with me once and she was
surprised and shocked to learn that Jews pray to the Lord too!
Gods and people have names just for that very reason, to avoid
confusion. God has a name, I suggest we use it.

Since we're talking about *teaching* Hebrew here, I gotta ask: do you think this facilitates learning? Is it the job of an instructor to offend her students, regardless of the social agenda? Is it the job of an instructor to HAVE a social agenda?

I wasn't the only one in that course who was deeply disturbed by the professor's actions. I was just the only one who wasn't *required* to take the course.

And I guess this has gotten off-topic. So I'll have to leave all the challenges in replies unanswered.

Jane Harper

Every complex problem has a solution that is simple, direct, plausible, and wrong. -- H.L. Mencken