b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] LORD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: furuli AT online.no, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] LORD
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 12:11:34 EST

In a message dated 2/12/2003 8:09:41 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Polycarp66 AT aol.com writes:

> Your designation of the Documentary Hypothesis as "speculative" tends
> toward
>
> a pejorative use. It would be correct to say that it is proven, but its
> designation as "speculation" would appear to be an attempt to prejudice the
>
> case.

A correction to this paragraph of my previous post. This should read "that
it is NOT proven".

gfsomsel
From: "Michael Abernathy" <mabernathy AT isot.com>
To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 14:06:28 -0600
Subject: [b-hebrew] LORD

I have not studied very much of the DSS so I hope someone will correct =
me if I am giving misleading information. The question was raised =
whether or not there is any preChristian evidence that Hebrews replaced =
the tetragrammaton with Lord- either in Hebrew or Greek. I have in =
front of me a couple of pages copied from Ernst Wurthein, The Text of =
the Old Testament, Grand Rapids: W. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, =
1995.
Commenting on the Habakkuk Commentary, he says, "In the period of these =
manuscripts it is evident that 'adonai was read for the tetragrammaton =
because the first Isaiah scroll, for example, reads )DNY where M [can't =
reproduce the symbol he uses] has YHWH (3:17), and conversely (6:11; =
7:14; 9:7; 21:16; 28:2." (page 158).
On the Papyrus Fouad Wurthein comments, "Thus, the tetragrammaton =
appears to have been an archaizing and hebraizing revision of the =
earlier translation kurios." (page 29).
Sincerly Yours,
Michael Abernathy
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 21:42:28 +0100
To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
From: furuli AT online.no

Dear Michael,

Nobody would deny that some persons of the Qumran people, or perhaps
all of them used a subatitute for the tetragrammaton. But this does
not prove that other groups did the same in B.C.E.

The words you quote from Wurthwein are not found in my 1979-edition
of his work. If you quote correctly, this is a blatant example of a
misleading statement in a book by a fine scholar. Or rather, before
it is verified that Wurthwein himself wrote these words, I am
inclined to think that a misinformed translator or editor added the
words.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
Univeristy of Oslo