b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] DSS, the brother of Goliath the Gittite, 2 Samuel 21:19

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] DSS, the brother of Goliath the Gittite, 2 Samuel 21:19
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 08:28:50 -0700

On Sunday 09 February 2003 21:25, Schmuel wrote:
> Shalom b-Hebrew,
>
> Schmuel

> Dave Washburn
>
> >LXX doesn't in the Samuel passage. it reads EPATAXEN...TON GOLIAQ...
> > Vulgate likewise lacks it. It reads "percu Correct. 1Q7 stops at verse
> > 18, though the extant part tends toward the wording in Chronicles, so
> > some speculation might be possible from that (but speculation is all it
> > would be).
>
> Schmuel
> Thanks for sharing..
> May I inquire about this speculation ?
> Are there any specific words or verses in that DSS 2 Samuel section that
> agree with Chronicles against the Masoretic Text of 2 Samuel? (That would
> seem to be key to transforming just "speculation" into "interesting
> speculation" :-)

Depends on one's definition of "interesting" I suppose :-) I don't have the
actual wording at hand, that's just what the brief textual note in my book
says. The fragment itself is in DJD volume 1, page 65. You're probably
closer to a library with that volume than I am, but if not, I might be able
to track it down in the next few days. Let me know.

> > Coffee-stains? More likely too much bat guano ;-)
>
> Schmuel
> I meant Charlesworth and all the other scholars, in their careful keeping
> of the scrolls the first 25 years or so :-) (no slight meant, just heard
> that they tended to be a little on the loose side).

I stand corrected ;-)

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur