sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] switch

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jflatt AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: Discuss-list <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] switch
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 15:18:24 -0700

On Friday 02 September 2005 11:47 am, Bas van Gils wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After approximately 2 years of using SMGL I switched to Ubuntu today, at
> least on my work box. As most of you know I've been really enthousiastic
> about SMGL, the way it works and the community. Especially the latter, i've
> met some of you guys in real life and that was awesome.
>
> The main reason for switching at this point in time is simple: I found that
> I was spending too much time on system administration and didn't have
> enough time for research / wife 'n kids. Ubuntu also has its issues but for
> the most part `shit works out of the box' which is just what I need for
> now.
>
> I still have one smgl-box (my laptop) and perhaps the switch is only for
> the time being. Just don't expect too much bug-reports from me for a while
> :-) I'll definately hang around on the irc channel and I'll keep reading
> the ML. Perhaps I can help answering some questions occasionaly.
>
> Hope to meet more of you RL and if that won't work: see you online!
>
> Take care,
>
> Bas

I spent a few months using Ubuntu for basically the same reasons as you. I
found after awhile that is was just far too used to the Source Mage way of
doing things to stay with a system like Ubuntu.

The two main reasons were these:

1) With Ubuntu, there were programs installed (like GAIM -- I don't do IM)
that I did not want and did not use, but upon which the base system depended
on, and therefore, could not remove.

2) If I found a program that I wanted to install that was not a part of the
aptget system (no .deb file or whatever), it felt like too much of a pain to
go through the install and upgrade process. With Source Mage it's very easy
and simple to take advantage of sorcery and create a quick spell to do the
install. Even if I subsequently get rid of the spell, I usually don't feel
like I put a lot of lost time into installing and removing the program.

I wish you luck on your new install. I certainly know how you feel.

--
Jason Flatt
Source Mage GNU/Linux: Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic.