sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] bugs in test grimoire

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT sourcemage.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] bugs in test grimoire
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 11:00:10 -0700

This gets me thinking...

If we keep around the original source tree, relinking would be pretty
easy, I think. Maybe CCACHE support (I haven't tried it lately) while
caching compilation to object code still re-runs the linking process.

Then a cleanse --fix could be made quite a bit faster, even on large
apps.

I might try it out on this specific update to see how well it goes. If
it works, I might leave CCACHE on in one chroot and leave it off in
another and run side-by-side tests to see if it will help speed up some
of my QA work.

Seth

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 12:44:47PM -0400, Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:
> I didn't mean to sound too authoritative on this, and I agree with you
> what ABI is. I would myself recommend reading Apache release guidelines
> and what they say about versioning and ABI. What I meant is that I never
> tried substituting a 0.9.7 shared object with a 0.9.8 one for an
> application that was originally linked with 0.9.7. It may in fact work.
> That's what I meant by saying that "ABI has changed" may not be a
> correct statement. Their announcement
> (http://www.openssl.org/news/announce.html) is not specific about this,
> although it does say that it's a major release so it may imply an ABI
> change.
>
> Sergey.
>
> Seth Alan Woolley wrote:
>
> >sourcemage.org is timing out for me right now so I haven't read your
> >blog yet, however, what I mean by ABI is:
> >
> >/usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.7
> >
> >is different from
> >
> >/usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8

Quality Assurance Team Leader & Security Team: Source Mage GNU/linux
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Secretary Pacific Green Party of Oregon http://www.pacificgreens.org
Key id FDCEE733 = 5302 B414 64C4 6112 3454 E082 99F0 69DC FDCE E733