sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO generation [back on-topic]

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Kowis" <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Cc: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO generation [back on-topic]
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 07:36:16 -0600 (CST)

<quote who="Eric Sandall">

> Perhaps not worry about the graphical installer yet (another
> sub-project for this?) as most people do not want a GUI (other than
> the ncurses-based one we currently have). I'm not too keen on
> requiring/using too many languages for the ISO, and since most of us
> know a little bash (our package manager is written in it) I'd say that
> bash is the "preferred" language when we need a language.
>
> There has been talk of a larger ISO, perhaps one with X already on it,
> and in that case size probably wouldn't matter, but that's for after
> we get 1.0 out, IMO.
That sounds great to me. I was just thinking about it for the moment,
although it might be wise to plan ahead. If we do a graphical installer,
we probably won't be able to do it in bash. I'm not sure how easy it'll be
to integrate the already written bash functions with whatever we use to do
a graphical installer. I'd rather not have two installer scripts. Actually
I'd rather have 3 installer scripts:
1. The functionality
2. the curses based frontend
3. the graphical frontend

That was part of the goal anyway, but ncurses expects lists of things a
certain way, so I need to make sure to store it a generic way, like CSV or
something, and then write an ncurses_convert_<example>_list function or
something. That way the functionality can be called from perl, ruby,
python, etc. More brainstorming...

Anyway, already forgot about doing a graphical thinger, will try to make
the functionaity independent of the installer frontend, though.