sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO generation [back on-topic]

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO generation [back on-topic]
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:27:57 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, David Kowis wrote:
<snip>
I was mostly just using RAID as an example to say that if we have to meet
a deadline and something that isn't that important, then it should go. If
it's important then it'll be one of the first things that we (where we =
I, probably) will work on after the restructure of the installer script.
I'd like RAID to work well too. I'd also like to see crypto-loop support
for installation of a completely encrypted system. But that's second to a
nice installer script.

Ahh, as an example then, you're right. :)

Thinking about nice installer scripts, that framebuffer gtk deal. I need
to make the current installer script functions able to be called from that
so that it's easy. I'm not even sure that would be a good idea. It might
be easier then to write a graphical installer in perl with perl installer
functions. Perl is a bit more powerful than bash, but it'll add a bunch
more to the ISO. I suppose then, if we do go to the graphical installer
thing, that we won't be quite as restrictive with ISO size? Just some
thoughts... writing them down as they come.

Perhaps not worry about the graphical installer yet (another
sub-project for this?) as most people do not want a GUI (other than
the ncurses-based one we currently have). I'm not too keen on
requiring/using too many languages for the ISO, and since most of us
know a little bash (our package manager is written in it) I'd say that
bash is the "preferred" language when we need a language.

There has been talk of a larger ISO, perhaps one with X already on it,
and in that case size probably wouldn't matter, but that's for after
we get 1.0 out, IMO.

-sandalle