sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] OFF-TOPIC bi-arch request WAS: ISO generation

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Kowis" <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: "Laurent Wandrebeck" <low AT low.ath.cx>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] OFF-TOPIC bi-arch request WAS: ISO generation
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:16:43 -0600 (CST)

<quote who="Laurent Wandrebeck">

>> Ive said before and again, that when the iso team is actually functional
>> and capable of addressing more advanced projects sorcery will be there
>> to greet it, but right now theres a lot of other work to be done first.
> ISO team is a mess. why ? no real leadership. one wants an iso spell.
> another one wants new features. one reworking existing scripts. another
> one
> working on splitting scripts. and another one working on improving this
> and that.
> Features being refused, new things that simply don't work etc.
> ISO team is forking on its own ! Too few people, working on different
> things,
> instead of working on things that have proven to work, even if they're not
> perfect. Did you say that 10 people were meaningless ?

OK, there's only about 3 or 4 people on the ISO team. Two are testing out
ISO generation scripts, something they both worked on in their free time
and have just recently brought out into the open. It wasn't part of any
great directed effort. Right at this very moment, before the discussion
tangented off into this Bi-arch whateverness, we (the Cauldron Team) were
trying to have a sane discussion on this list about what we were going to
do, how we were going to do it, and who's going to do what. I find it very
presumptuous of you to determine that the ISO team is a mess. I find very
little support coming from you, no suggestions, only demands that you get
what you and your 10 users want. We'll get there, but some things have to
be accomplished first. A stable working ISO is a priority over having it
do fancy stuff. It's not proven to work. Have you tried to create a RAID
device? That doesn't work at all. The things that are supposed to happen
in the background of the installer, while you're doing something else,
happen in the foreground. It needs to work, and work completely. No bugs,
no options in the installer menu that don't work; everything needs to work
smoothly. This is the first thing the new users to SMGL will see. There's
only one chance for a first impression. I want it to be a good one. It
doesn't need to be opulent, with support for everything in existence, but
it does need to work well. It needs to be easy to use, and
straightforward. Features such as this bi-arch stuff can be integrated as
the ISO matures. Once we get a good design going for the ISO and the
scripts it uses, things can be added in an organized fashion.

So take it easy. The teams may be small and overworked, but everything is
done on a volunteer basis. We do what we can with what we have. And by now
we've been doing so much with so little, that we're qualified to do
anything with nothing! :)

{slice}