sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO generation [back on-topic]

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Kowis" <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: "Benoit PAPILLAULT" <benoit.papillault AT sourcemage.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO generation [back on-topic]
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 07:05:18 -0600 (CST)

<quote who="Benoit PAPILLAULT">
> - since no decision have been taken on the scripts set that will be used
> for the next ISO, I'm volonteering to maintain the script we are
> currently using to build the ISO. I could do so in a separate branch
> (proj3). To ease the job of running those scripts and uploading the
> resulting ISO, David Kowis has volonteer to host the script. Is it still
> OK David?
Yep, I've got a box, albeit slow, that can do this. it's a 500MHz pentium
something.

> - As far as the install script is concerned, David has volonteer to work
> on it with a modular design. I'm quite happy to have a new member in the
> team to take care of that. I've mainly tried to maintain the script left
> by hgg, but failed totally on the RAID & LVM part. (evms has been
> included on 0.9.4-test3 ISO ... ). I even think that it could be a
> separate spell installed on the ISO as any other spell and that could be
> used to install chroot as well as real system. Comments?
I noticed that you've fixed some bugs in the smgl.install script. Could
you point out where it changed so that I can copy that into my modular
scripts. I've not really rewritten anything, just split it apart, and it'd
be pretty easy to copy over changes into one of the modules.

> - As far as the 1.0 release is concerned, i think it would be good to
> have some quality criteria. However, if the criteria is to not have
> people complaining here and there about stuff not working, we will never
> have such 1.0 release. Usually, happy people are not showing up but
> newbies are just posting bugs without taking the time needed to fix them
> or help fix them. Moreover, I cannot fix a bug than I'm unable to
> reproduce myself without some help (I requested some help on bug #7642
> [2], but even the developper that were able to reproduce the problem did
> not give any information). So far, my criteria was to run twice "sorcery
> rebuild" on the installed system to ensure that people will not have
> problem casting spells.
I'd just like to have every option in the installer work. If RAID doesn't
work yet, take it out of the list. We can put it back in when it works
again. As long as the software can be installed we'll be doing pretty
well.