sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO: Graphical installers (was: ISO generation [back on-topic])

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Kowis" <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: "Seth Alan Woolley" <seth AT positivism.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO: Graphical installers (was: ISO generation [back on-topic])
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:17:16 -0600 (CST)

<quote who="Seth Alan Woolley">
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 08:38:06PM +0100, Karsten Behrmann wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 07:21:48 -0600 (CST)
>> "David Kowis" <dkowis AT shlrm.org> wrote:
>> <snip>
>> > Thinking about nice installer scripts, that framebuffer gtk deal. I
>> need
>> > to make the current installer script functions able to be called from
>> that
>> > so that it's easy. I'm not even sure that would be a good idea. It
>> might
>> > be easier then to write a graphical installer in perl with perl
>> installer
>> > functions.
>> Hey, why is everyone starting to talk about graphical installers?
>> Sure, they're nice, but consider,
>> how many people use vcast or xsorcery? (I know 90% of the people who
>> read
>> this don't even know what I'm talking about)
>> All of sorcery is console-based, I think it would be a little
>> lying-on-the-package if the installer was graphical.
>> If they get a text-based installer on the ISO, they know what to expect
>> on the installed system.
>> Just my 2 cents about graphical installers
>> So Far,
>> Karsten
>
> Agreed!

It was just a thought I was playing with, and I believe it was mentioned
by someone else (I don't remember whom) that it would be possible with
framebuffer gtk and ruby/perl/python. It doesn't matter that much.

--
One login to rule them all, one login to find them. One login to bring
them all, and in the web bind them.