sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO generation [back on-topic]

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Kowis" <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Cc: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO generation [back on-topic]
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 07:21:48 -0600 (CST)

<quote who="Eric Sandall">
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, David Kowis wrote:
> <snip>
>> I noticed that you've fixed some bugs in the smgl.install script. Could
>> you point out where it changed so that I can copy that into my modular
>> scripts. I've not really rewritten anything, just split it apart, and
>> it'd
>> be pretty easy to copy over changes into one of the modules.
>
> Hopefully you kept the smgl.install that you worked from (if not, you
> can use Perforce to grab it) and then you can do a `diff -u
> smgl.install.orig smgl.install.benoitfixes` to see what changed and
> where.

I did keep the original. So I'll run this when I get home and apply the
changes to my modules.

> <snip>
>> I'd just like to have every option in the installer work. If RAID
>> doesn't
>> work yet, take it out of the list. We can put it back in when it works
>> again. As long as the software can be installed we'll be doing pretty
>> well.
>
> I think that RAID is a bit too important to take off the list. If it
> doesn't work, we should work on getting it working (heh).

I was mostly just using RAID as an example to say that if we have to meet
a deadline and something that isn't that important, then it should go. If
it's important then it'll be one of the first things that we (where we =
I, probably) will work on after the restructure of the installer script.
I'd like RAID to work well too. I'd also like to see crypto-loop support
for installation of a completely encrypted system. But that's second to a
nice installer script.
Thinking about nice installer scripts, that framebuffer gtk deal. I need
to make the current installer script functions able to be called from that
so that it's easy. I'm not even sure that would be a good idea. It might
be easier then to write a graphical installer in perl with perl installer
functions. Perl is a bit more powerful than bash, but it'll add a bunch
more to the ISO. I suppose then, if we do go to the graphical installer
thing, that we won't be quite as restrictive with ISO size? Just some
thoughts... writing them down as they come.