permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The people of Tibet need help now - Boing Boing

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The people of Tibet need help now - Boing Boing
  • Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 17:26:13 -0400

On 3/16/2013 12:44 PM, venaurafarm wrote:
On 3/15/2013 4:02 PM, John D'hondt wrote:
brand new pope became pope with his reccord of aiding and abedding dead
squads in Argentina.

For a Catholic Jesuit priest this is unforgiveable, if actually true.

The Argentinian mothers of the disappeared seem to think so.

They "disapeared" (there is a movie about this)
all the hippies, lefties and alternative types then adopted their orphaned
children.
His latest statement is something about the Catholic Church needing to
focus more on theological teachings
if it wants to avoid being relegated to the pages of history as being
simply another NGO in the service of humanity.
If only they would do just that! He is a conservative Catholic who
abhorred
the Liberation Theology movement of decades past.

He labelled LT Marxist doctrine. It would be logical to assume that he
had the same opinion of the people in Argentina who were part of the
new cultural renaissance that happened, cultural, social, political.
It was primarily left leaning. As you might imagine many were probably
not so immersed in the political aspects, i.e. political reform, but
just wanted to get on with their lives while others may have
participated in more radical leftist campaigning, all enjoying and
benefiting from a refreshing, alternative, free thinking cultural
climate. There were educated, skilled professionals, artists,
architects, writers, poets, academics of all sorts, musicians, tradesmen
and many others involved in this movement. The military junta came to
power and committed genocide on these people. They were the Argentinian
counterparts to the same kinds of people creating a cultural renaissance
in the United States and Europe. Then, Kissinger and the CIA and other
collaborators did the same thing in Chile, overthrowing the leftist
Allende government and putting the despicable Pinochet in power; he
probably took his direction from Spain's Franco
who allowed the Nazis to use Spanish villages for target practice by the
Luftwaffe. Pinochet's thugs assassinated the popular musician Victor
Jara and probably the Poet Pablo Neruda as well (his body will soon be
exhumed for an autopsy to determine cause of death). I was 21 in 1960
and the Chinese invasion of Tibet had already happened; the full
meaning, if not even news of as well, along with that of the sad events
in Argentina, Brazil and Chile escaped my friends and I during the
period 1960-1980. None of my closest friend were involved in anything
political during those times. We were musicians, artists, thinkers and
dreamers interested in the teachings of Indian mystics.
I wish I had learned about Tibetan Buddhism then.

More on this + recent news:

Pope Francis wants 'poor Church for the poor'
"The Pope on why he chose the name Francis, and the kind of Church he wants to see Pope Francis has said he wants "a poor Church, for the poor" following his election as head of the world's 1.2bn Catholics on Wednesday. He said he chose the name Francis after 12-13th Century St Francis of Assisi, who represented "poverty and peace". He urged journalists to get to know the Church with its "virtues and sins" and to share its focus on "truth, goodness and beauty"."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21812545

<>

Well, I guess they are safe now addressing the needs of the poor, now that the troublemakers are gone, at least in his home country and in Chile and Brazil, the intellectuals, the educated, the philosophers,
the political activists, especially the left leaning ones, the social and economic reformers, those with education, the middle class in general, those who wear glasses..gone also in other places where genocide of this class of people occurred, Cambodia, Bangladesh, probably Ceylon, Burma, other locations possibly. They wouldn't want to help the middle class because they would feel that they would not be able to control them and thus control the elections and that these folks would never allow a fascist military junta to come to power. So, its safe now to help the poor, they are easy to control, are defenseless, malleable, disadvantaged and in some cases disenfranchised.

Of course it would be wonderful beyond all imagining if the Catholic Church really did work to help the poor of the world. It would be nice if they also invited the permaculture and natural agriculture communities to help in this effort.