permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Ethical energy use - what is your favorite "better than PV panels?"

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Stephan <gsmare@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Ethical energy use - what is your favorite "better than PV panels?"
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 23:38:52 +0200

Have you guys read Alcohol can be a gas by David Bloom? Perhaps ethanol
production can form part of your energy portfolio?

On 01 Jan 2013, at 8:45 PM, venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net> wrote:

On 1/1/2013 1:30 PM, Cory Brennan wrote:
> Oops, I missed this! There are some very good ideas here. I'm passing this
> along to my machine nerd friends :-)

Read all of mine, they are not that long and are part of a continuum
with new info, less typos etc. With each new post I remember more of the
things I meant to post previously, addressing more of the points I
thought important.

Tell me more about fuel cells and why you think they are a local energy
source option.

On 1/1/2013 1:28 PM, Cory Brennan wrote:
> I hear you. But why leave it to each individual neighborhood to
> devise solutions? Why not put our collective heads together on an
> international level, here and now? Surely we have more resources
> combined than we do in little groups, to come up with multiple
> solutions (there is no one size fits all).

We are doing just that. It has been happening all along.

> Wood is not the best energy source, I feel, for many reasons. One can
> create solar steam cogenerator with fuel cell and turbine engine to
> create electricity.

Tell me more about this: solar steam generator in cold climates.
Maybe with reflector and or Fresnel lens? And again, the fuel cells?
Existing small scale steam turbines?
Time to Google YouTube...

> This could be created at any scale from backyard
> to city. There are many possibilities like this. Which would you
> rather have as an energy source? Something that almost maintains
> itself, and renews itself whenever the sun shines,

The answer to that is obvious. I was merely suggesting low tech
solutions for small scale but important energy generation and materials
cycling in my previous posts.