permaculture - Re: [permaculture] WTF?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] WTF?
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 13:24:35 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for asking this question, Dick. I'm a girl too, not obvious by my
name. I don't always follow this rule myself but almost always get a better
result when I do.

If you're having a negative reaction to someone's communication and you want
to respond negatively, it is often good to first clarify some things about
the situation. Asking questions to get more information can have more than
one result - it can provide information that can change your perception, it
can sometimes get the other person to think about his own position more
deeply, it can bring out facets where both people agree strongly or can find
common ground that can be used to explore differences more fruitfully.

One can consider differences of opinion a sort of "edge" environment, where
learning can occur, new ideas can form, synthesis can occur, more depth can
be achieved. If it is approached in this way instead of from the viewpoint of
differences being threatening or something to "conquer", much new growth is
possible and a stronger system could result.

One difference I've observed between masculine and feminine communication
(and men or women can do either type - I do - it could also be called
yin/yang or a number of other things - probably there is a better way to
describe the dichotomy), is that a purpose in masculine communication can be
to dominate or "win" the point. Feminine energy does not necessarily have a
pony in the race, and so can just "be" involved in the communication and
learn or contribute as the opportunity arises.

It's been my experience that forming conscious community is difficult without
communication skills being encouraged within the community. One can call
these skills non-violent, emotionally mature, kind, compassionate, or a dozen
other tags. The outcome of such communication is greater understanding
between parties, rather than upset.

I appreciate the communication on these philosophical subjects on this list.
The result has been greater understanding of and affinity for individuals on
the list as well as being able to consider a diversity of viewpoints.

Cory